Combined oral contraceptives
What are combined oral contraceptives?
Combined oral contraceptives (COCs) — a pills which contain a small amount of hormone components in its effect similar to the female body hormones (estrogen, progesterone).
What is the action of the combined oral contraceptives (hormonal contraceptives)?
- reduce the production of pituitary hormones
- suppress ovulation
- thickens the cervical mucus, thereby preventing ingress of sperm into the cervix
How to use combined oral contraceptives?
- You have to take the pill in the first day of menstruation or immediately after abortion.
- Take one pill at the same time every day, morning or evening.
- Some package includes 28 pills, other — 21 tablet. When a pack of 28 tablets ends, you should start taking the pill from the next pack. If you use a packaging designed for 21 days, then before you start taking the tablets with the new package, take a break for one week (7 days).
- If you forget to take a tablet, take it as soon as remembe, even if this means taking two tablets in one day.
- If you missed taking two tablets or more, you should take two tablets each day until they enter into their regular schedule. Use an additional method of contraception (eg, condoms) or refrain from sexual contact for 7 days.
- If you did not have two or more menstrual periods, you should see a doctor to check for pregnancy.
Advantages of combined oral contraceptives:
- With proper regimen, these pills are highly effective, up 99.3%
- The method is extremely safe
- You can take oral contraceptives for a long time (unless contraindicated)
- This method of contraception can be used by many women. Your doctor will choose you the appropriate and safe type of pills
- In the case of combined oral contraceptives, menstruation becomes regular, less time consuming and painful, so hormonal contraceptives are used for medicinal purposes.
Hormonal tablets reduces the risk of uterine cancer, breast cancer, fibroids, osteoporosis.
To start taking combined oral contraceptives, you need to pass examination and advice the gynecologist!