The object of research of the MRI of kidneys is kidneys themselves and also ureters. The research technique involves the use of high magnetic fields and radio frequency pulses.
Medical indications for the appointment of an MRI of the kidneys:
- pronounced swelling of the face and lower limbs;
- high urine specific gravity;
- dizziness, headaches, fever or chills;
- renal colic;
- lower back pain or pain in the kidneys;
- control over the process of treatment and effectiveness of surgical intervention.
The diagnostic capabilities of MRI of the kidneys:
- assessment of renal function (renal function and concentration ability);
- the study of kidney structures, departments, tissues and sizes;
- assessment of the state of blood vessels and the urinary tract;
- diagnosis of benign and malignant tumors;
- inflammation or bacterial infection of renal tissue;
- demarcation between the brain and the cortical layers.
Possible contraindications for MRI of the kidneys:
- pregnancy (in this case, it is mandatory to notify the physician);
- renal failure;
- claustrophobia, seizures or epilepsy;
- the presence of metal implants or fragments;
- allergy to contrast agents, if used in the study;
- pacemakers or artificial cardiac pacemakers.
Preparation of the patient for an MRI study of the kidneys
The patient should also leave their mobile phone, keys and credit card, as well as all other devices that include magnetic storage media (eg, diskettes or cassettes) in order to avoid potential distortion of MRI results or even damage.
In addition, it is necessary to remove all clothing that contains metal elements (such as buttons or rivets). If you use makeup that contains metal particles, it is also necessary to rinse it.
MRI procedure of kidney research
Magnetic resonance imaging lasts from 10 to 30 minutes. The patient is asked to lie on a table that slides into the center of the machine. During the research, it is recommended not to move, breathing should be even. Do not be afraid of the sounds, which produces the unit. These sounds are an indication of its normal operation. If necessary, the patient can always contact a specialist through the intercom.
The advantages of MRI of kidneys
1. The MRI does not require special preparation of the patient.
2. The MRI is indispensable if there are contraindications for CT and other X-ray examinations (or their ineffectiveness).
3. There is no ionizing radiation.
4. MRI provides to the doctors a detailed picture of the test organ with all the planes, and there is no need to the patient to change the position of their body.
5. MRI of kidneys allows even detect the smallest pathological changes.
6. MRI does not require invasive surgery.
7. With this type of survey signals from adipose tissue can be suppressed by the apparatus.
8. Natural processes in the body (such as breathing or pulsation of the arteries) are not an obstacle for diagnosis.